Friday, September 2, 2011

Should you trust Taeki Noh? or: Hi Seoul! Soul of Asia



This was my first day in Seoul.
 I arrived in Ginpo airport a little after 11 am, took the subway to
Gwanghamun station and found the Japanese consulate with the help of my map and some nice Korean people. I gave in the application for a new working visa and then took a cab to my hotel.



Well, at least I tried to. The first taxi driver, who's car I climbed into, couldn't find the hotel on his GPS, so he denied.
The second driver didn't have a fancy car like that, so he called somebody instead. Finally a random Korean guy from the street came and offered me his help. He first asked, if he could take me by his car. Hmm..Did I trust him enough? Of course not. So he offered just to join my taxi and instruct the driver. And he decided to pay for the ride as well...
Now he knew, where I lived. Well done, well done!

I checked in, changed visit cards with the Korean guy and said goodbye. I walked around the area and found out, that it is exactly on one of the most popular Korean-style shopping street -
Insadong, that sell souvenirs, cosmetics, antiques, clothes, jewellery and whatever else you can imagine. Perfect for my short visit!



I wondered around a bit, had lunch and did some shopping. Around 6.30 I went back to the hotel, and the guy, named Noh Taeki (and yes, his first name is Noh !), called. He was waiting for me downstairs.

He took me to the N-Seoul Tower, that is the highest tower in Seoul. He'd made a reservation at the tower's Italian restaurant, where we had a six-course dinner. A bit awkward. There are no free dinners, you know.




When I got back to the hotel (at 11pm), I almost decided to go out to a Fashion Party, but since things worked against me (like sleeping only two hours last night), I quit the plans.

Now here I am. In my small hotel room. With plans and fears for tomorrow.
The main thing is - let's get some sleep now!!

Oh yeah, Happy Late First of September to everybody!
The universities started earlier, but thanks to being so busy for the last days, I wasn't as sad as I thought I'd be. Still, reading all those posts about everybody going to uni, I feel envious.
Lucky you!

No comments:

Post a Comment